When you hear the word “entertaining,” do you break out in a cold sweat? The thought of entertaining can be scary, but in reality it doesn’t have to be. How you approach entertaining can make all the difference.
First of all, forget any ideas you may have that entertaining needs to be expensive and flashy.
The first rule of entertaining is to be yourself and entertain within your budget and abilities. Remember, you are supposed to have fun too! If you spend your time and energy worrying that you are not good enough and do not match up to others, you will feel your stress levels rise and spend far more than you can afford in a desire to impress.
The simple gesture of opening up your home and extending hospitality to friends, family and acquaintances is more appreciated than you will ever realise, and the more you do it, the easier it will become.
Here are some simple guidelines to bear in mind when entertaining:
- Keep it as simple as possible
- Use what you have available and are comfortable with. You don’t need to buy a new dinner service, or crystal glasses!
- Keep to your budget. If this means a potluck party or a simple dessert party, then that is fine.
- Think creatively. You can create any ambience you wish without breaking the bank or exhausting yourself. Your guests will be more appreciative of original ideas than over-spending.
- Be realistic about your skills. Don’t try to serve something complicated just to impress.
- Stick to a menu you are comfortable with and never make a recipe you haven’t prepared before. You do not want to be wrestling with an unfamiliar recipe when you could be enjoying your guests’ company.
- Plan menus that allow you the freedom to be with your guests. Prepare as much as possible beforehand – recipes that can be refrigerated or frozen, and reheated simply.
- Stay relaxed and enjoy yourself, and your guests will too.
And, in case you missed the most important point… Keep It Simple!